How to prepare for IELTS at home without coaching? It is a question asked by thousands of students, workers, and immigrant aspirants who wish to clear this globally recognized English test through self-study without any coaching. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is one of the widely accepted tests to check English language proficiency worldwide. This test is a must for candidates who wish to immigrate to an English-speaking country, for those who wish to pursue their education in English-speaking countries, and even for those who seek jobs abroad. IELTS scores are also very necessary for admissions and for visa/ immigration authorities in various countries.
How to prepare for IELTS at home without coaching?
Here are some points that can help a candidate prepare at home without coaching:
- Finish your basic homework: The candidate should download the official candidate’s guide and must read it carefully. Secondly, the candidate should know more about the writing, speaking, listening, and reading sections thoroughly.
- Keep evaluating yourself: The candidate should prepare a timetable separately for practice sessions and other times to revise and understand the questions and answers. If the candidate have ever attempted the actual practice test, then they should assess the examiner’s comments and model answers for the evaluation of their performance.
- Record the mock speaking test- The candidate should always have a partner for practicing online at home. The candidate may act as both examiner and student. Then the candidate should record their mock speaking tests to evaluate how they are doing and where are the mistakes. After the evaluation of their recorded mock test, the candidate should note down everything to fastly identify the mistakes.
- Online IELTS training- The candidate can find online IELTS training workshops, podcasts, guidance sessions, resources, and many other materials.
- Bring out books- The candidate should check their old textbooks, specifically their old grammar books and English study materials. It can help the students in their preparation of IELTS.
- Keep examination time restrictions in mind- The candidate should learn about time management for the IELTS examination. The candidate should keep practicing the tests while keeping in the mind the time limits provided for the examination for every section. The students should keep examination time restrictions in mind to avoid time pressure or to miss questions during the actual exam.
- Work on your English at home- The candidate should boost their vocabulary while practicing tests and also reading through the study materials. The candidate should try watching English movies, listening to podcasts, and watch videos, and reading books and magazines. The candidate should start their preparation a minimum of 3 to 6 months before the IELTS examination.
- Keep distractions away- The candidate may get distracted at the beginning of their IELTS preparation but they should keep practicing. The candidate should multi-task in English while listening as the listening section is really hard and the candidate has to answer around forty questions. The candidate should prepare themselves to handle distractions and overcome it fastly to answer the questions.
Develop your reading skills- The candidate should improve their reading skills as they get tested on their reading skills for facets such as information, primary thought, gist, skimming, understanding of any argument, knowledge of intent, and views of the authors. The candidate should practice reading through reading newspapers, books, blogs, and many more.
How to develop English through Online tools?
At the beginning of the preparation, the candidate may find it difficult but with consistency, it is not impossible for them to achieve good commands on all four skills of the English language: reading, writing, speaking, and writing.
While practicing tests, the candidate should also record their answers to speaking questions, or read books and newspapers, and must listen to online English podcasts. The candidate may also take help to improve their English through online tools such as Quizlet, Forvo, Word reference, and Lang 8.
Complimentary IELTS classes from Sernexuss
The candidates planning to immigrate to their dream destination for study, work, or living, and where the communication language is English must have to clear the IELTS exam. Sernexuss provides complimentary IELTS classes to each of its clients. Sernexuss has one of the most professional and experienced IELTS coaches.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to prepare for IELTS at home?
Ans. To prepare for the IELTS exam at home, the candidate should learn about all four sections: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The candidate should keep practicing through their old textbooks, newspapers, and magazines and should watch English movies, and videos, listen to podcasts, etc.
Q2. How to prepare for IELTS at home without coaching?
Ans. It is not impossible to prepare for IELTS at home without coaching as the students can take help from youtube tutorials, and online practice tests.
Q3. Can I pass IELTS without coaching? Ans. Yes, you can pass the IELTS without coaching with consistency and hard practice in all four sections: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.