Four-year study reveals the fastest growing occupations in Canada
Recent LinkedIn’s recent report on the “20 Canadian roles that are growing in demand” discloses a few key elements of the occupations which have seen growing to hire in Canada.
The study examined the name of millions of jobs started through the members of LinkedIn between January Ist 2018, and July 31st 2022, to calculate the expansion rate for each profession. Here is the list of 20 occupations in demand in Canada during this four-year period, as also the chief hiring regions and remote work availability.
- Growth Marketing Manager—Top hiring regions: Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Greater Vancouver Metropolitan Area (GVMA), Greater Montreal Metropolitan Area (GMMA)—Remote job availability: 46.2%;
- Product Operations Manager—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 43.2%;
- Dispensary Technician—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: N/A
- Technical Program Manager—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA—Remote job availability: 29.3%;
- Sustainability Manager—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 10.5%
- Head of Growth—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 66.4%;
- User Experience Writer—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 44.7%;
- Information Technology Associate—Top hiring regions: GTA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 3.3%;
- Site Reliability Engineer—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 44.7%;
- Customer Success Associate—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 12.7%;
- Valuation Analyst—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: 3.6%;
- Sales Development Representative—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 49.4%;
- Security Engineer—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 57.9%;
- Data Engineer—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 35.6%;
- E-commerce Coordinator—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 4.8%;
- Technical Product Manager—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA—Remote job availability: 33.1%;
- Cyber Security Specialist—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, Greater Calgary Metropolitan Area (GCMA)—Remote job availability: 13.4%;
- Crew Scheduler—Top hiring regions: GTA—Remote job availability: N/A;
- Medical Writer—Top hiring regions: GTA, GVMA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 56.9%;
- Media Planner—Top hiring regions: GTA, GMMA—Remote job availability: 15.7%;
A note on job vacancies
As per the job vacancy report of November, Canada experienced a decrease by 20,700 jobs in all industries. Despite this fact, the job vacancies in Canada saw a historical growth counting 850, 300 vacant positions at the end of 2022.
Specifically, the healthcare and social assistance, professional scientific and technical services, and construction sectors saw a continuous vacancy, with almost no decrease on a yearly basis. This stipulates effective hiring across these sectors- mainly for newcomers, who broadly devote to almost 100% of labor force growth- as the economy of Canada goes further away because of the COVID pandemic effects.
Pathways to immigration
Many immigrants don’t see employment in Canada just as a means of economic support, but also as a pathway to live permanently there. In view of this, new immigrants may get served through significant changes in the policy, when choosing their immigration pathway to Canada.
For instance, the PNP (Provincial Nominee Program) is a renowned immigration pathway through which Canadian provinces can invite immigrants to come and settle as permanent residents; as per their education, connection to the province, and work experience with in-demand occupations. Provincial Nominee Program is all set to overtake the popular Express Entry-managed programs, as the largest Canada PR pathway- nonetheless significant changes are also going to be made in Express Entry in 2023.
After the transformation of Bill C-19 June of 2022, Canadian Immigration Minister Sean Fraser is now able to build determined immigration categories in the Express Entry pool (on the basis of attributes like occupation, language proficiency, education, etc.) and provide ITA (invitations to apply) for permanent residence to these new candidates. IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) has already showed their interest in executing the policy in spring of 2023.
Currently, no details are given yet, some occupations like the ones mentioned above has a great chance of getting selected in these targeted Express Entry draws as they describe in-demand occupations that Canada presently cannot fill vacancies for, without welcoming new immigrants.