Requirements to study in New Zealand must be completed as without fulfilling all the eligibility criteria and requirements, a candidate won’t be qualified to achieve the New Zealand study visa. New Zealand is a vigorous country, a country full of opportunities, where originality, creativity, liberty has more value than standard, status, or rules. A student in New Zealand gets motivated to be analytical, versatile, and a capable person who can find solutions of every query themselves.
New Zealand has become one of the top destinations of international education, with over 20,000 overseas candidates already enrolled as a student in New Zealand University.
Why study in New Zealand?
New Zealand has one of the best educational systems in the world, with many top universities known worldwide. New Zealand has eight highly ranked universities in the QS World Rankings and Times Higher Education Rankings. The candidates passed out from any New Zealand universities receive multiple job opportunities, and their degrees get recognized worldwide. The NZQA (New Zealand Credentials Authority) ensures that educational institutions get registered to admit foreign students who meet all the eligibility requirements.
New Zealand is a peaceful country, as it ranked second in the Global Peace Index 2018, which evaluates the social and political tolerance of the country.
If a foreign student studies in a New Zealand university, they have a right to work up to 20 hours per week throughout the semesters and full-time during summer vacations. And a candidate who pursues a research master’s doctoral degree can also work full-time
Requirements to study in New Zealand
Candidates must meet the following requirements to study in New Zealand, while applying for any University:
New Zealand Student Visa
A student visa allows a student to study, live, and work in the country for a limited time period. A student visa is a must for students who wish to study in New Zealand for a study program extending more than three months. The candidate has to pay INR 16,424 application costs to apply for a New Zealand student visa. After the review of the application of the candidate, the candidate will be contacted for a visa interview.
Proof of English Proficiency
The candidates who wish to study in New Zealand must have competitive English language abilities. The candidates have to submit their English language test results from IELTS/ TOEFL. IELTS is the standardized test of the English language accepted worldwide and recommended for a New Zealand study permit. TOEFL is equally a renowned English test.
Proof of Fund
Proof of Fund is one of the most required documents in the process of New Zealand student visa. It is to prove that a student can take care of themselves after their arrival in New Zealand.
The following proof can be used as evidence to prove your financial stability:
- Bank statements of last 6 months.
- The candidate needs to provide proof, of tuition and housing expenses (if already paid).
- The candidate needs to provide a loan letter, if they have taken a student loan from any bank.
- Documents to prove the scholarships/funding.
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a type of long essay used to express why a candidate wishes to study in a New Zealand University, and their intention of studying there. SOP is an important document that can help the candidate to get admission in the university, even if their CV is not impressive.
Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
To apply for a bachelor’s degree in New Zealand, the candidate should have completed 12th and the New Zealand credentials for the selected program. The candidate should score a minimum 60% in the IELTS exam (6 < 5.5).
Eligibility Requirements for Master’s Degree
All universities have similar basic eligibility requirements, to study masters in New Zealand:
- The candidate’s bachelor’s degree should be in a respected field if they wish to apply for a master’s. The students need at least 50- 60% in their undergraduate to be eligible.
- The candidate should submit GRE, GMAT, IELTS, and TOEFL scores in the application process. The candidate should score a minimum 50% in the IELTS exam (6.5 < 6).
- The students may also require submitting portfolios, sit for various immigration, the documents for work experience, and other co-curricular activities.
Eligibility Requirements to study MBA in New Zealand
The candidate must fulfill all the requirements to get admission to this program:
- Minimum 4.5 years of work experience in a related field.
- 3 to 4 years of relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- In the graduation program, a minimum GPA of 6.0 is a must.
- The candidate may also be called for a personal interview round (it depends on the university’s criteria.
Eligibility Requirements for PhD
The candidate must fulfill all the requirements to get admitted to this program:
- The candidate must have a master’s degree with needed grades in the relative field of study.
- A study proposal, letter of recommendation, and an SOP (standard operating procedure, etc.
- The candidate should achieve high or required scores in the English Proficiency examinations such as the IELTS or TOEFL.
- Some colleges may require 1 to 2 years of experience.
- The candidates who wish to study Business or Management studies must upload the results of GRE or GMAT.
Documents Required for New Zealand Study Visa
Here is the list of documents required to apply for a New Zealand Student Visa:
- Statement of Interest/Purpose
- Official transcripts
- Health insurance
- Medical Records
- Financial statements
- Letter of recommendation
- Student Visa
- Work experience
- Updated CV/Resume
- Scores of English language proficiency test
New Zealand has two intakes, one in January, and the second in July, but there are some countries in New Zealand that offers admission in September and November. The candidate must start their admission process before the deadline of the application. The candidate’s language abilities and aptitude examination must be finished before the deadline. The application form must be filled out appropriately and on time.
Q1. What is the processing time for a student visa in New Zealand?
Ans. Usually, it takes processing take off 6 months to process a study visa application in New Zealand. The time may vary because of incorrect applications or wrong documents.
Q2. Is there any age limit to study in New Zealand?
Ans. There is no age limit for pursuing education in New Zealand.
Q3. Is medical insurance compulsory for international students?
Ans. Yes, overseas students must have medical insurance.