Apply for Canada PR after study- Many individuals wonder if they can achieve a Canada PR after studying at Canadian Universities.  Canada is a country with the best opportunities, it is a dream of thousands of people to immigrate to Canada.

Canada gets contemplated the best country to live, work, and study, it is also known for treating everyone equally and providing equal chances. Canada offers a high-quality standard of lifestyle, an excellent education system, and various career opportunities. The friendly immigration policies also make Canada one of the top destinations for students and immigrants.

Here’s a detailed explanation of why more and more overseas students globally are continuously immigrating to Canada for their higher studies and attempting to achieve Canada permanent residence.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

PGWP (Post-Graduation Work Permit) authorizes foreign students to earn an open work permit and work experience in Canada, who graduates from a DLI (Designated Learning Institution. An open work permit allows overseas students to have the right of working anywhere in Canada with any employer. The Post-Graduation Work Permit has a validity of eight months to three years and it offers chances for Canadian Work Experience.

Eligibility for Post-Graduation

A candidate has to fulfill the required eligibility criteria before submitting the application for PGWP:

  • The candidate’s age should be at least 18 years.
  • The candidate should have studied a full-time course for a minimum of 8 months in Canada.
  • The candidate should have completed the study course at a Designated Learning Institution.
  • The overseas student should apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit within 180 days of the completion of their study course/program.
  • If the validity of the study permit of the students is about to end, they should apply for a visitor visa first and then for the Post-Graduation Work Permit.
  • The students who submit the application for a Post-Graduate Work Permit before the expiry of their study permit can start working full-time instantly after their PGWP application.

How to apply for Canada Permanent Residence Visa?

Many International students become eligible to achieve a Canada PR visa after having enough work experience in Canada. There are multiple Canada PR pathways for overseas students who wish to achieve Canada PR after the completion of their study program and they are as follows:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is one of the three streams under the Express Entry Program and ranks the candidate’s profiles using a Comprehensive Ranking System. Candidates who achieve the required CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) score obtains the invitation to apply (ITA) for the Canada PR visa. To be qualified for the Canadian Experience Class stream, a candidate should have a minimum of 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada. A student who gained work experience during their study program does not consider work experience to apply for the CEC. Therefore, after the completion of their studies, the student should apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, earn experience and then apply for the CEC stream.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Canada has ten provinces and ten of them operate their Provincial Nominee Program, it is also one of the fastest pathways to apply for the Canada Permanent Residency. Overseas students who wish to immigrate to any particular province of Canada can apply for the Provincial Nominee Program. The candidate who has a stronger connection to any particular province in terms of study or work has a higher chance of achieving the Canada PR through the Provincial Nominee Program.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is one of the immigration categories under the Express Entry Program. To apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, an overseas student do not need any past work experience.

Quebec Immigration Options

The Quebec Province of Canada operates its Provincial Nominee Program and directs its immigration system which is quite different from all other provinces. The Quebec Province has two immigration categories to apply for Canada PR for overseas students.

Quebec Experience Program (PEQ): The PEQ is an immigration option for students who have completed their education at a Quebec-based institution or will complete their studies at a Quebec-based institution. To be an eligible candidate for the Quebec Experience Program, the overseas student should have advanced level French language skills.

Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW): Comparably to Quebec Experience Program, the overseas students who wish to apply for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program, should have completed their studies at a Quebec-based institution or are about to complete them at a Quebec-based institution. The candidate needs to meet the eligibility and points requirements of the QSW to be eligible for the program. However, they do not need to prove their French language Skills.

Shifting to Work Permit before the completion of studies

Overseas students who choose to quit their studies and earn a work permit require an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). But these candidates need to inform the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) about dropping their studies and applying for a work permit. Sometimes, because of the change in status, foreign students have to leave Canada before achieving their work permit.

To achieve a Labour Market Impact Assessment, the foreign student should receive a valid job offer from an approved employer, and the employer should support the work permit application of the candidate.

Documents required to apply for Canada PR after study

Here is the list of documents, an overseas student should submit to apply for a work permit:

  • Valid Passport
  • Education certificates
  • Proof of work experience
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of dependents
  • Copies of fee receipt
  • Medical Certificates
  • Police Clearance Certificate
  • Recent Passport size photographs

What is the processing time for Canada PR?

Usually, it takes up to six months for a student to process their Canada PR. However, the processing time may vary because of multiple factors such as the number of applications, province, and work permit type.


Q1. How much time does it take to process a PGWP application?

Ans. Generally, it takes 80 to 180 days for processing a PGWP application. Although, the applicants can work during the processing period, before the expiration of their study permit, and if applied for a PGWP.

Q2. Is it easy to acquire Canada PR after the completion of studies?

Ans. If a candidate has studied in Canada, it becomes less complex for them to achieve a Canada PR. If a candidate has work or study experience in Canada, it also helps them to achieve good CRS scores.

Q3. What is the stay back provided to the overseas students in Canada?

Ans. The overseas students can live and settle down in Canada through a post-study work visa. It gets offered to an overseas student for up to three years.

By Sernexuss

Sernexuss Management and Services is one of the top Immigration Consultants in Delhi. Visa Consultants at Sernexuss are amongst the most knowledgeable Immigration Consultants for Canada in Delhi. Sernexuss provides Immigration Consultancy services ranging from PR Visa, Study Visa, Visitor Visa, and Business Visa. Sernexuss is rated very highly amongst its peers for Immigration Consultants in Canada. Based in Delhi, Sernexuss has a huge number of people who have Immigrated to Canada. Contact us for Free IELTS preparation classes, Job Assistance, and unique post-landing Services at +91 7999994848, 011-45502586.